MYSTERY OF THE DEAD MAN'S CHEST

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com These are the tales of the brave and foolish Souls that ventured into the treacherous dark Lemurian Waterways aboard the Mysterious Buccaneer Ship The Calabar Felonway as they search for the infamous Dead Man's Chest

Thursday, June 08, 2006

One Eyed Red and the Galley

I can see why the last cook were, forgotten, like. If he cooked like he cleaned yer poor crew is half-starved fer a good meal in their bellies, and some grog flowin' in their veins. Never met a good sailor could do his best on hardtack and plain beans.

I'll soon have that set aright, I'm One-Eyed Red y'see, I been cooking on these fine ladies since afore you were messin in your swaddles. I can only stand t' be a landlubber fer so long and then me Mother the Sea gets to callin'. I get to where I can't hear anythin' other than Her voice, and I have to come back to Her.

I see my packages have your curiosity, you'lll see what's in 'em, in due time. Fer now, we bst be getting some good food for the lads comin down from the riggings and watch. Pass me the yellow box there, careful, don't tip it s'far!!

Better!! Now, there is a platter fulla bit's o' smoked pork, carrots, turnips, tatties, spinach, and love apples. Now, don't be rollin' them eyes at me. 'Tis a tale invented by busybodies, who want to be putting their nose where it don't belong. Amidships of someone elses' bizzness. Them apples no more make ye lusty than the salt or the pepper I add to the cooking.

Fill that kettle, yes the largest one about halfway full with clean water, and mind the dust!! We need to be tearin' this galley apart as we settle in belowdecks. All this filth is bad for the crew to be eatin' outta. They need ever't'ing t' be shipshape and shinin' so's they know the food is good.

Yep, I'm in the right o' it, an ye know that too; else ye wouldn' be scrapin' the grease offa the stove afore ye light it. Hmmmmnnnhhpppphhhhh!!! What fool would be letting their stove git like this?? It'd burn down the ship if it ever caught afire, it would!!

I know ye're just awaitin' to hear the tales the lads will tell, there'll be time for that soon enough, they want feedin' first. 'A good ship sails on her crew's bellies.' I always say. So lets make us some sweet breezes to the windward lay.

Yup, put all o' th'pork in the kettle, an put both that kettle, and the pot I brought to hold warmed grog on the stove. You've the right lids for the kettle there? Good!! Cover 'em tight, and light this beast of a stove. While ye're doin' that, I'll put the makin's of some hot spiced grog in this kettle.

Nay there. Ye'll not be learnin this on yer first voyage. I'm wanting more o' th' dried love apples, and some rice from the stowage. Be sure and bring some lemon as well, there oughtta be a barrell of th'dried peelin's.

Now then, while my assistant is busy...
*adding spices and a powder of dried vegetables to the delicately bubbling kettle of water and pork, then adding another measure of dried, ground spices and a generous measure of honey along with a sweet rum to the water*

Ye did that right quick. Yup!! You've a good eye there. That should be about right t'make the soup hearty and tasty. Ye be sure an' put all o' the love apples, meat and vegetables in there, yup, I want alla them carrots and turnips, the tatties too in the kettle.

Good!! Good!! Now leave that to be cooking. Make plenty o' coffee, the lads goin'above deck in the cold and dark o' th' moon will be glad o' it to be keeping 'em warm. Yes, put out plenty o' sugar, can't be havin' bitter coffee givin' 'em a gripin' o' th'belly now, can we?

Ye see th' kettle ower beyond the table?? Fill it about halfway with water and add that to the stove. Yes, the crew'll need a sweet too. Yup, just a rice custard wi' dry grapes and berries.

Ye're right, that's why I brought the goat, we'll have 'er milk for cooking, and we c'n make butter from the skimmins. Yep, the journey may be long enough fer some curds an' whey. Drain the curds of the whey an' the curds can be et like a soft cheese, good for bellies with a bad gripin'.

Now then, the rolls is risin' good, the soup and grog's a-cookin away, and the coffee will be perkin' soon. 'Tis time to clean, afore one o' the crew smells what's cooking and we are overrun wi' hungry folk.

4 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Blogger Viridiana said...

keep the cauldron boiling, there are such delicious smells wafting my way. Ariel and I will be there as soon as possible

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger The Gate Keeper said...

Oh, you've made me hungry now. I think I'll make stew for dinner.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Your story telling skills are something else Gwen. This is just fabulous. I cannot wait to read more of your pieces here on the Calabar.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Believer said...

I've heard it said, if you want to know all the news on a ship, it's the cook you ask.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home