MYSTERY OF THE DEAD MAN'S CHEST

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com These are the tales of the brave and foolish Souls that ventured into the treacherous dark Lemurian Waterways aboard the Mysterious Buccaneer Ship The Calabar Felonway as they search for the infamous Dead Man's Chest

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Ile de Mora

The water shimmered in the bright sun making the sea a vast mirror. I climbed the mast to a perch above the mail sail and scanned the endless ocean. Specks appeared off to my right. I unhooked my special glasses from my waistband hoping they would bring the speck closer.

Voila! The speck became an island with a central mound covered with trees and grass. The mound sloped to a wide white strip of sand. Could this be the Ile de Mora with the black X that I had seen on the map in the captain’s cabin? What did the X mean? Danger? Taboos? How could that be when it seemed deserted?

As I stared through my glasses, three figures emerged from the tangle of trees and bushes. I saw lean muscular bodies wrapped in loin cloths. Long dark hair floated around their heads. Their smiles enticed me. No eyepatches! No knives! No guns! I wrapped an arm around the mast and leaned toward them as if this would give me a better view. Were these the Bog Tempters we had been warned about?

Through my glasses, I looked into eyes that bewitched me. One held a lyre. Could I hear the beguiling music or was it just in my head? One held out his arms, his hands beckoning me to come. The other waved a scroll, unrolling it to reveal what looked like a map. Could this be the treasure map? I wanted to leap from the boat and swim to their shore.

I watched, more entranced, more attracted, more captivated. These handsome creatures couldn’t be the awful Bog Tempters. I stayed on my perch, unaware of time passing, unable to remove my glasses, lyrical music calling to me.

A bell clanged calling everyone to the evening meal. My hands stayed on the mast. I was unable to remove my glasses; I couldn’t break the spell. I didn’t want to break the spell. Darkness fell and the visions faded. I tore off my glasses. The music stopped. I sighed, seeing nothing in the black expanse of ocean. I descended the rope ladder rung by rung.

Would my shipmates believe my tale about a magical ile?

4 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Blogger The Gate Keeper said...

Prairie Muse: This is a wonderful bit of writing and you provide an unanticipated twist: the Bog People may be good guys? Or very pretty bad guys? Or maybe they are not Bog people at all. Lots of ways to go with this! Well done.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

This is fantastic! PLEASE keep writing!

Anita Marie

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Wonderful!

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

This is wonderful Prairie Muse. I suspect that just as there were many tribes of indigenous people there are many tribes of the Bog People. It will be fascinating to get a full picture of this intriguing, ancient race of people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home