MYSTERY OF THE DEAD MAN'S CHEST

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com These are the tales of the brave and foolish Souls that ventured into the treacherous dark Lemurian Waterways aboard the Mysterious Buccaneer Ship The Calabar Felonway as they search for the infamous Dead Man's Chest

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Joining the Crew

I was sitting on that headland when I thought I heard my name being called. I paid no attention, however, because I was feeling low of spirit. I’d been left, you see, my ship had sailed away without me after the monster had swamped my canoe on the rocks. since I had no other way of reaching the ship, I watched the sails as the vessel distanced itself from the shore. Then, I heard my name again and looked down and there, below the cliff and rocking in the surf, was a longboat.

“C’mon, m’hearty,” the man called. “We gotta hurry if’n we want to catch the ship where they’re awaiting you.”

I scrambled down the rocky path, which wasn’t a path at all. “But I don’t have my sea bag,” I yelled at the swashbuckler type who by now, with his crew was having trouble holding the long boat steady.

“Don’t worry ‘bout that, they’ll have britches fer ya, tunics, too, but ya gotta hurry—I can’t hold this boat fer much longer.”

I scrambled, slipped, and slid into the water where strong arms gripped me and pulled me into the boat where, I might add, I landed on my butt on the hard planks in the bottom. Like a rocket in the surf, the long boat shot away from the beach, the oarsmen barely able to hold it against the current, and from crashing on the same rocks that had swamped my canoe earlier. Another moment and I would have again lost the opportunity to catch the ship and the berth that awaited me.

It seemed no time at all before I was nervously climbing a swaying robe ladder and over the side onto the ship. If I live through this experience, I thought, it will be some kind of a miracle, and an adventure to talk to my grandchildren about. What grandchildren? Someone else's perhaps, seeing that I am no one's grandma.

Vi

4 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Blogger The Gate Keeper said...

Vi, I'm glad you could make it!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Believer said...

Welcome aboard, Vi. You may not be able to see me on the ship, but I'm here and guarding those who've been kind to me. Shhh. All will be well.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Vi, what a brilliant adventure beginning. Imagine the things you will discover!

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

What a relief that they safely navigated the murky waters, found you and got you on board. Well done Vi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home